He has an academic background in Physical Anthropology from Andhra University, with hands on professional experience in community nutrition and is currently associated with the Division of Community Studies. He gained considerable experience in execution of epidemiological studies in the field of Public Health Nutrition addressing undernutrition - PEM, micro-nutrient malnutrition, socio-cultural aspects of undernutrition as well as diet related chronic diseases such as obesity, hypertension, and type-2 diabetes. Also having experience in designing and conducting rapid assessment surveys during emergency situations such as drought. He is a faculty member for regular as well as adhoc training programmes, which are being organized regularly in the institute and ICMR school of Public Health, NIE, Chennai.
- K. Mallikharjuna Rao, N. Balakrishna , N. Arlappa, A. Laxmaiah and G.N.V. Brahmam. Diet and Nutritional Status of women in India. J. Hum Eco. 29(3): 165-170 ,2010.
- N. Arlappa, K. Venkaiah, K. Mallikharjuna Rao, Ch. GalReddy, Sharad Kumar, M. Ravindranath, G.N.V. Brahmam, K. Vijayaraghavan. Prevalence of Chromic Energy Deficiency in Rural-Dwelling older Indian Adults during a period of severe drought. J. Nutr. for the Elderly 28:301-312, 2009.
- Arlappa N, Mallikharjuna Rao K, Venkaiah K, Brahmam GNV, and Vijay Raghavan K. Nutritional parameters and Chronic Energy Deficiency in older adults of desert areas of Western Rajasthan, India. J.Nutr. for the Elderly Vol 28 (1) p: 61-71, 2009.
- K. Mallikharjuna Rao. “Utilization of reproductive and child Health services in Tribal areas of Andhra Pradesh –Published in Book entitled “Health and Nutritional problems of Indigenous population. Edited by Kaushik Bose. Kamal raj enterprises Delhi, 2008.
- K. Mallikharjuna Rao. Diet and Nutritional status of Preschool Children in the state of Maharashtra. Lead Article. State Joint conference of Indian Association of prevention and social Medicine and Indian public Health Association, Maharashtra chapter 28-30 December, 2007.
- Laxmaiah, A., Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Hari Kumar, R., Arlappa, N., Venkaiah, K., and Brahmam, GNV. Diet and Nutritional status of Tribal population in ITDA project area of Khammam district, Andhra Pradesh, J. Hum. Eco.21 (2), 79-86, 2007.
- Mallikharjuna Rao, K., K. Bala Krishna, N., Laxmaiah, A., Venkaiah., K., and Brahmam, GNV, Diet and Nutritional Status of adolescent Tribal Population in Nine States of India. Nutrition News. Vol -28, January 2007.
- K. Venkaiah, G.N.V. Brahmam, K. Vijayaraghvan, N. Arlappa, Ch. Gal Reddy, K. Mallikharjuna Rao, Sharad Kumar, M. Vishnuvardhana Rao and M. Ravindranath. Assessment of diet and nutrition situation in drought affected areas in nine States –Part: 1 Nutrition news Vol: 27, No.1, January 2006.
- K. Venkaiah, G.N.V. Brahmam, K. Vijayaraghvan, N. Arlappa, Ch. Gal Reddy, K. Mallikharjuna Rao, Sharad Kumar, M. Vishnuvardhana Rao and M. Ravindranath. Assessment of diet and nutrition situation in drought affected areas in nine States –Part: II Nutrition news Vol: 27, No.2, April 2006.
- Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Hari Kumar, R., Venkaiah, K and Brahmam, GNV Nutritional Status of Saharia –A Primitive tribe of Rajasthan. J. Hum. Eco, 19(2), 117-123, 2006.
- Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Balakrishna, N., Laxmaiah, A., Venkaiah, K and Brahmam, GNV. Diet and Nutritional Status of adolescent tribal Population in nine states of India. Asia Pac J clin Nutr, 15 (1), 64-71, 2006.
- Ravindranath, M., Venkaiah, K., Vishnuvardhana Rao, M., Arlappa, N., Gal Reddy, Ch., Mallikharjuna Rao, K. et al. Effect of drought on nutritional status of rural community in Karnataka. J. Hum. Eco. 18 (3), 169-171, 2005.
- Mallikharjuna Rao K, Laxmaiah A, Ravindranath M, Venkaiah K, Hanumantha Rao D, Brahmam GNV and Vijayaraghavan K, Diet and Nutrition during drought in western Rajasthan, India. J. Hum Eco Vol 14, 153-158, 2003.
- K.M. Rao, D.H. Rao, Y.N. Mathur, G. Radhaiah and N. P. Rao. Socio-demographic and Nutritional status of tribal population in three ecological zones of Madhya Pradesh. Paper published in a book entitled Demography and Health profile of the Tribals. Edited by Dipak Kumar adak, Bishwanath Bhattacharya, Rohini Ghosh, Manoranjan Pal, Paraman and Bharati & T.S. Vasulu. Anmol Publication Pvt Ltd, New Delhi 2003.
- Mallikharjuna Rao K, Balakrishna N, Hanumantha Rao D and Bhaskara Rao B, Nutritional Status of preschool children in different agro-economic regions of Andhra Pradesh. J. Hum. Eco, 13,363-367, 2002.
- Laxmaiah A, Mallikharjuna Rao K, Brahmam GNV et al. Diet and nutritional status of rural preschool children in Punjab. Ind. Ped. 39,331-338,2002.
- Vijayalakshmi, K., Mallikharjuna Rao, K. et al. Dietary factors as determinants of hypertension – A case control study in an urban Indian population. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 8, 184-189, 1999.
- Vijayaraghavan, K., Hanumantha Rao, D., Brahmam, G.N.V., Radhaiah, G., Mallikharjuna Rao, K. et al. House hold Food Security and Nutrition in South Western Orissa. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society of India, 45,150-165, 1998.
- Vijayalakshmi, K., Prasnanna Krishna, T., Raghuram, T.C., Mallikharjuna Rao, K. Parvathi Easwaran, Kamala Kirishnaswamy: Abdominal adiposity and metabolic alternbation in Hypertension – A case control study. Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 6(3) 180-185, 1997.
- Rao, D.H., Brahmam, G.N.V., Rao, K. M. et al. Nutrition Profile of certain Indian Tribes. Proceedings of the National Seminar on Tribal Development options. G.B. Pant Institute of Himalayan Environment and Development, Almora. HIMAVIKAS occasional publication No. 9, 242-264, 1996.
- Sarma. K. V.R., Hanumantha Rao, D. Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Gal Reddy, Ch. Sharad Kumar, Vishnuvardhan Rao, M and Pralhad Rao, N. Impact of Mid Day Meal Programme on Educational and nutritional status of school going children in Andhra Pradesh, India. Asia Pacific Jour. of public Health, 8 (1):48-52, 1995.
- Hanumantha Rao, D. And Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Levels of Malnutrition and socio-economic conditions among Maria Gonds. J. Hum. Eco.5, 185-190, 1994.
- Hanumantha Rao, D., Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Radhaiah, G. and Pralhad Rao, N. Nutritional Status of Tribal Preschool Children in three ecological Zones of Madhya Pradesh. Ind. Paedt. 31,635-640,1994.
- Hanumantha Rao, D., Brahmam, G.N.V., Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Gal Reddy, Ch and Pralhad Rao, N. Nutritonal Status of Jenu Kurubas –A Primitive tribe of Karnataka. Ind. J. Nutr. & Dietet, 30, 66-71, 1993.
- Hanumantha Rao, D., Brahmam, G.N.V., Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Gal Reddy, Ch. And Pralhad Rao, Nutritonal Status of Maria Gonds –A Primitive tribe of Maharashtra. Ind. J. Nutr. & Dietet, 29, 61-66, 1992.
- Rao, D.H., Rao, K.M., Secular trents in “Well to do Indian Children”. Proceedings of the National Workshop on “Adolescence: Need for critical appraisal. Department of Bio-Chemistry and Nutrition, Agharkar Research Institute, Pune, 108-111, 1992.
- Hanumantha Rao, D., Brahmam, G.N.V., Mallikharjuna Rao, K., Longvah, T and Pralhad Rao, N. Health and Nutritonal Status of Thangkul and Marring Tribes of Manipur. Nutrition News, 12, September 1991.