Received training at the ICCNA and as a Public Health Service International Research Fellow in the area of iron metabolism under the guidance of Prof. J.D. Cook, Kansas Medical Center, USA. Established the Micronutrient Research Group and currently heading the group. He has established new and innovative facilities for carrying out basic and applied research in the area of science of micronutrient such as Caco2 cell line facility, National Facility for Dried Blood Spot Technology for Vitamin A Estimation. His expertise is also in designing, executing and evaluating community based nutrition intervention projects. His early research work focused in the area of development of immunological methods for monitoring micronutrient status of populations for which he received the ICMR's prestigious B.G.R.C. Silver Jubilee Oration Award for the year 1996 for the contributions in the field of Nutritional Hematology. He is a Member of the NAS; life member and Joint Secretary of Nutrition Society of India; life member of the SBC and ACBI. He is a PhD guide in biochemistry and nutrition.
The most significant research contribution was to give new insights into the enterocyte sequential transfer of iron into the body during absorption, presented evidence that exposure of iron-deficient intestine to large doses of iron could produce hydroxyl radical leading to compromised functional integrity and its amelioration by conditioning with anti-oxidants, micronutrients such as zinc. In the area of food fortification operationalization of iron and iodine fortified common salt (DFS), micronutrient enriched wheat flour.
His current research interests are in Crop Biofortification, Enhancing Dietary Iron and Zinc Bioavailability in Indian Children, biological significance of phytoferritins, mechanism of absorption and interaction of iron and zinc and cytoprotective effects of zinc and Micronutrient status and Physiological Markers of stress (Allostatic Load) among students.
List of Publications:
- Raghu P, Srinivas PNBS, Nair KM and Reddy GB. Binding and stabilization of transthyretin and curcumin. Arch Biochem Biophys 2009, 485, 115-119.
- Raghu, Nair KM, Sunanda K, Sreenivasulu K, Tippeswamy TG. Ferric reductase activity of low molecular weight human milk fraction is associated with enhanced iron solubility and uptake in caco2 cells. BBRC, 2008; 374:369-372.
- Sreenivasulu K, Raghu P, Ravinder P and Nair KM. Effect of dietary ligands and food matrices on zinc uptake in Caco-2 cells: Implications in assessing zinc bioavailability J. Agric Food Chem. 2008, 56(22), 10967–10972.
- Sreedhar B. and Nair, K.M. Concurrent repletion of iron and zinc reduces intestinal oxidative damage in iron-and zinc-deficient rats. World J Gastroentrol 13 (43) :5707-5717 (2007).
- Vasantha L.K, Sesikeran . B and Nair, K.M. Evidence for a sequential transfer of iron amongst ferritin, transferrin and transferrin receptor during duodenal absorption of iron in rat and human. World J Gastroenterol 13 (7): 1042-1052 (2007).
- B. Satyanarayana, P. Raghu , P. Ravinder and Nair,K.M. Gastric digestion of pea ferritin and modulation of its iron bioavailability by ascorbic and phytic acids in caco-2 cells . World J Gastroentrol 13 (14): 2083-2088 (2007).
- Sivakumar, B., Vijayaraghavan, K., Vazir, Shahnaz, Balakrishna, N., Shatrugna, Veena, Sarma, K.V.R., Nair, K.M. Raghuramulu, N. and Krishnaswamy, Kamala. Effect of micronutrient supplement on health and nutritional status of school children: study design. Nutrition 22: S1 (2006).
- Nair,K.M. Fortification: An important strategy for addressing micronutrient malnutrition. Proc Nutr Soc India 53: 57 (2006).
- Sivakumar, B., Nair, K.M, Sreeramulu, D., Suryanarayana, P., Ravinder, P., Shatrugna, Veena, Ajey Kumar, P., Raghunath, M., Vikas Rao, V., Balakrishna, N.. Udaykumar, P. and Raghuramulu, N. Effect of micronutrient supplement on health and nutritional status of school children: Biochemical status. Nutrition 22: S15 (2006).
- Nair KM. Fortification-An important strategy for addressing micronutrient malnutrition. XXXVII Annual Meeting, Nutrition Society of India, November 18-19, 2005.
- Sreedhar, B. and Nair, K. Modulation of aconitase, metallothionein and oxidative stress in zinc-deficient rat intestine during zinc and iron repletion. Free Radic Biol Med 39: 999 (2005).
- Nair.K.M, Bhaskaram, P., Balakrishna, N., Ravinder, P. and Sesikeran, B. Response of hemoglobin, serum ferritin and serum transferrin receptor during iron supplementation in pregnancy: A prospective study. Nutrition 20 : 896 (2004).
- Sreedhar, B., Subramanian, R. and Nair, K.M. A protective role for zinc on intestinal peroxidative damage during oral iron repletion. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 318: 992 (2004).
- Sreedhar, B. and Nair, K.M. Iron dependence and zinc inhibition of duodenal cytosolic aconitase of rat. Indian J Biochem Biophys 41: 250 (2004).
- Binata Nayak, K. and Nair, K.M. In vitro bioavailability of iron from wheat flour fortified with ascorbic acid, EDTA and sodium hexametaphosphate, with or without iron. Food Chem 80: 545 (2003).
- Bhaskaram P, Nair K.M, Balakrishna N, Ravinder P, Sesikeran B. Serum transferrin receptor in children with respiratory infections. Eur J Clin Nutr. 57 (1): 75 Jan (2003).
- N.Rahuramulu, K.Madhavan Nair and S. Kayanasundaram. A Manual of Laboratory Techniques. Revised Edition (2003).
- Sivakumar B, Nair K.M Double fortified salt at crossroads. Indian J Pediatr. 69 (7): 617 Jul (2002).
- Srigiridhar K, Nair K.M, Subramanaian R and Singotamu L. Oral repletion of iron induces free radical mediated alterations in the gastrointestinal tract of rat. Mol. Cellular Biochem. 219, 91-98 (2001).
- Kamala Krishnaswamy and Nair, K.M Importance of folate in human nutrition. Brit J Nutr 85 (Suppl 2): S115 (2001).
- B.Sivakumar, GNV Brahmam, Nair.K.M, S.Ranganathan, M.Vishnuvardhan Rao, K.Vijayaraghavan and Kamala Krishnaswamy Prospects of fortification of salt with iron and iodine Brit J Nutr 85 (Suppl 2): S167 (2001).
- Nair, K. M Alternate strategies for improving iron nutrition: lessons from recent research. Brit J Nutr 85 (Suppl 2):S187 (2001).
- Bhaskaram, P., Balakrishna, N. Nair, K.M. and Sivakumar, B. Vitamin A deficiency in infants: Effects of postnatal maternal vitamin A supplementation on the growth and vitamin A status. Nutr Res 20(6): 769 (2000).
- G.N.V.Brahmam, Nair KM, S.Ranganathan, B.Sivakumar and Kamala Krishnaswamy. Potential Benefits of Double Salt. In: Need for Food Fortification in India. Kalyan Bagchi & Sunder Gujaral, Eds. Nutrition Syndicate of India, (2000).
- Nair, K.M. Iron in health and disease - a review. Gujarat Med J 57(1): 5 (2000).
- Srigiridhar K, Nair KM. Supplementation with alpha-tocopherol or a combination of alpha-tocopherol and ascorbic acid protects the gastrointestinal tract of iron-deficient rats against iron-induced oxidative damage during iron repletion. Br J Nutr. 84 (2): 165 Aug (2000)
- Brahmam, G.N.V., Nair, K.M., Lakshmaiah, A., Gal Reddy Ch. Ranganathan, S., Vishnu Vardhana Rao, M., Naidu A.N., Vijayaraghavan, K., Sivakumar, B., Krishnaswamy, Kamala, Gowrinath Sastry J., Mohanram, M., Prahalad Rao, N. and Reddy, Vinodini. Community trials with iron and iodine fortified salt (double fortified salt). In Proc of the 8th world Salt Symp Vol 2, ed by R.M. Geertman, Amsterdam Elsevier (2000) 955.
- Nair K M. Recent advances in iron absorption and role of excess iron. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society of India. 2000, 48: 81-90.
- Nair, K.M., Brahma, G.N.V., Lakshmaiah, A., Gal Reddy Ch., Vishnuvardhana Rao, M., Ranganathan, S., Vijayaraghavan, K., Sivakumar, B. and Krishnaswamy, Kamala. Sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) as a stabiliser of double fortified (iron and iodine) salt does alter the calcium and phosphorus homeostasis. In Proc of the 8th World Salt Symp, Vol 2 ed by RM Geertman, Amsterdam Elsevier (2000) 1253.
- Nair, K.M. Iron absorption and its implications on strategies to control iron deficiency anaemia. ICMR Bull 30(2): 15 (2000).
- Srigiridhar K, Nair KM. Iron-deficient intestine is more susceptible to peroxidative damage during iron supplementation in rats. Free Radic Biol Med Oct 25 (6) : 660 (1998).
- Ravinder P, Nair KM, Sivakumar B. Biological efficacy and plasma norethisterone levels of orally administered norethisterone enanthate in rat and hamster. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. Oct 42 (4): 485 (1998).
- Nair KM, Brahmam GNV, Ranganathan S, Vijayaraghavan K, Sivakumar B, Krishnaswamy K. Impact evaluation of iron & iodine fortified salt. Indian J Med Res. Nov 108 (0): 203 (1998)
- Nair,K.M., Sesikeran,B., Raganathan,S., Sivakumar,B. Bioeffect and safety of long term feeding of common salt fortified with iron and iodine (double fortified salt) in rat. Nutr Res 18: 121 (1998).
- Sivakumar, B and Nair, K.M. A appraisal of the iron status indicators. ICMR Bulletin. Vol 27, No.10, October, 1997.
- Srigiridhar K, Nair KM. Protective effects of antioxidant enzymes and GSH in vivo on iron mediated lipid peroxidation in gastrointestinal tract of rat. Indian J Biochem Biophys 199734 (4): 402.
- Bhaskaram,P., Nair,K.M., Hemalatha,P., Neetha Murthy, Poornima Nair. Systemic and mucosal immune response to polio vaccination with additional dose in new born period. J Trop Pediatr 43: 232 (1997).
- Ravinder P, Shatrugna V, Nair KM, Sivakumar B. Pharmacokinetics of orally administered norethisterone enanthate in rabbit, monkey, and women. Contraception. Jun 55 ( 6) : 373 (1997)
- Sreeramulu D, Nair KM, Qadri SS, Rao KV, Sivakumar B. Changes in biochemical indicators of iron status during iron repletion and depletion in monkeys. Ann Nutr Metab. 41 (2): 126 (1997).
- Nair K.M and S.Kalyanasundaram. Chapter-7. Water, electrolyte and mineral balance. In the Textbook of Human Nutrition. M.S.Bamji, N.Pralhad Rao and Vinodini Reddy (Editors), Oxford & IBM Publishing Co. Pvt.Ltd., New Delhi, pp 93 - 107 (1996).
- Sivakumar B, Nair, K.M, Brahmam, G.N.V and Mohan Ram, M. Control of iodine deficiency through safe use of iodized salt. ICMR Bulletin, 26, No.6, June ,1996.
- Sreeramulu D, Nair KM, Sivakumar B. Isolation and characterization of monkey liver ferritin. Indian J Biochem Biophys. Feb 33 (1): 48 (1996)
- Nair, K.M., Raman, Leela, Ramalakshmi, B.A. and Sreeramulu, D. Plasma iron tolerance of ferrous glycine sulphate and ferrous sulphate in women. Food Nutr Bull 16(1): 72 (1995).
- Murthy N, Nair KM, Bhaskaram P. A direct ELISA technique to detect antibodies against polioviruses. Indian J Biochem Biophys. Oct 32 (5): 249 (1995)
- Sreeramulu D, Qadri SS, Nair KM, Sivakumar B. Induction of dietary iron deficiency in rhesus monkeys: sequential changes in serum ferritin and other biochemical indicators of iron status. Ann Nutr Metab. 0 38 (6): 322 (1994)
- Nair KM, Ebner KE, Cook JD. Isolation and characterization of a transferrin binding protein from rat plasma. Biochim Biophys Acta. Sep 1035 (3): 306 (1990)
- Narasinga Rao, B.S., Nair, KM and Ayyagari Radha. Studies on indigenous production of iodized oil for goitre control in India. In: Proceedings of International Symposium on Environment, genetics and thyroid disorders. Thyroid Assoc (India) (1990) 63.
- Vijayaraghavan K., G.N. Brahmam, K.M. Nair, D. Akbar and N. Pralhad Rao. Evaluation of National Nutritional Anaemia Prophylaxis Programme. Indian J Pediatr 57: 183 (1990)
- Bhaskaram, P., Sarada, K., Sivakumar, B., Visweswara Rao, K. Nair KM. Effect of iron and vitamin A deficiences on macrophage function in children. Nutr Res 9: 35 (1989).
- Nair KM, Prasad KV, Sivakumar B, Rao BS. Effect of food-restriction on steady state kinetics and tissue distribution of norethindrone and levonorgestrel in rabbits. Indian J Exp Biol. 26 (5): 392 May (1988)
- Nair, K. M, Prasad, K.V.S., Sivakumar, B. and Narasinga Rao, B.S. Effect of food restriction on steady state kinetics and tissue distribution of Norithindrone and Levonorgestrel in rabbits. Indian J Exp Biol 26: 392 (1988).
- Pawashe AB, Raman L, Nair K.M, Sarma J. Validity of using capillary blood for the measurement of plasma ferritin. Clin Chim Acta. 163 (1): 119 Feb (1987).
- K. Vijayaraghavan, G.N.V.Brahmam, Nair K.M, D.Akbar and N.Pralhad Rao. National Nutrition Anaemia Prophylaxis Programme ‑ An evaluation in Andhra Pradesh. Final technical Report, National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad (1987).
- Nair KM, Sivakumar B, Prema K, Narasinga Rao BS. Bioavailability of levonorgestrel from intravaginal rings in women of low income groups. Contraception. 33: 307 (1986).
- Sivakumar B, Nair KM, Prasad KV, Rao BS. Pharmacokinetics of norethisterone and levonorgestrel in experimental iron deficiency anemia in rabbits. Contraception. 32: 473 (1985).
- N.Rahuramulu, Nair KM and S. Kayanasundaram. A Manual of Laboratory Techniques. First Edition (1983)
- Nair,K.M., Sivakumar,B., K.Prema. and Narasinga Rao,B.S. Pharmacokinetics of levonorgestrel in Indian women. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 24: 255 (1983).
- Nair KM, Sivakumar B, Rao BS. Effect of food restriction (undernutrition) on pharmacokinetics of levonorgestrel in rabbits. Contraception. 23 (5) : 549 May(1981)
- Prasad KV, Nair KM, Sivakumar B, Prema K, Rao BS. Plasma levels of norethidrone in Indian women receiving norethidrone enanthate (20 mg) injectable. Contraception. 23: 497 (1981).
- Prasad,K.V.S., Nair, KM., Sivakumar,B. and Narasinga Rao,B.S. Effect of food restriction (undernutrition) on plasma sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) capacity, liver drug metabolizing enzymes and uterine cytosol progesterone receptors levels in rabbits. Contraception 23: 563 (1981).
- Nair K M, Sivakumar B, Narasinga Rao BS. The rabbit as an animal model to study pharmacokinetics of levonorgestrel in women. Contraception. 23: 89 (1981).
- Sankolli GM, Naik VK, Prasad KV, Nair K. M, Joshi UM. Influence of antisera on the estimations of norethisterone and levonorgestrel. J Steroid Biochem. Aug 11 (2) : 1159 (1979)
Nair KM, Sivakumar B, Prema K, Rao BS. Pharmacokinetics of levonorgestrel in Indian women belonging to low socio-economic group. Contraception. 20: 303 (1979).
- Final Technical Report of the S&T project “Testing of Iron Bioavailability in Biscuit samples using Caco-2cell line”. National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, 2009.
- Final Technical Report of the S&T project Iron and zinc bioavailability in beverage premix assessed using coupled in vitro digestion/caco-2 cell model, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, January 2009
- Final Technical Report. Evaluation of Bio-effect of Ultra Rice on Iron Status of Beneficiaries of Mid Day Meal (MDM) Programme – A study in a school of Ranga Reddy District, Andhra Pradesh. Submitted to DBT, Govt of India, December 2008.
- Nair, K.M.. Fortification as a Strategy to Control Micronutrient Malnutrition. In Food fortification, A Gujarat Initiative, Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs Department, Government of Gujarat and Gujarat Roller Flour Millers’ Association, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 99-112, 2007.
- NNMB Technical Report No.23.Prevalence of Vitamin A deficiency among preschool children in rural areas National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research (2005).
- Draft proposal on Country Investment Plan (CIP) for micronutrient fortification of food supplements of ICDS and mid day meal in the states of Orissa and Rajasthan, National Institute of Nutrition, 2005.
- G.N.V.Brahmam, A. Laxmaiah, M. Ravindranath, K. Venkaiah, Sharad Kumar, NairKM and B. Sivakumar. Acceptability of micronutrient-fortified millet based biscuits - A study among primary school children, 2005.
- Anemia in pregnancy- Interstate differences Scientific Report 16, Nutrition Foundation of India, 2005.
- K. Vijayaraghavan, G.N.V.Brahmam, Nair KM, R. Harikumar, M. Vishnuvardhan Rao, N. Balakrishna, Ch. Gal Reddy and B.Sivakumar. Assessment of biological impact of sugar fortified with vitamin A. Final Technical Report, National Institute of Nutrition (2004)
- Nair KM, S. Ranganathan, J.S.Acharya, B.Sivakumar and Kamala Krishnaswamy: Iron absorption promoters in fortification of edible salt A. Final Technical Report, National Institute of Nutrition, 2003.
- Current Status of IDD in Select Districts of Different Regions of the country, Final Technical Report, National Institute of Nutriton,2003.
- B.Sivakumar, Nair KM, Komilla Pareek, P.Ravinder and Kamala Krishanaswamy Studies on fortification of wheat flour with iron and folic acid, Final Technical Report, National Institute of Nutrion, ICMR. 2003.
- B.Sivakumar, Nair KM and Vikas Rao Establishment of a National Facility for Dry Blood Spot Technology for Vitamin A Estimation, at National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad. Final Technical Report, 2003.
- G.N.V. Brahmam, Nair KM, S.Ranganathan, Ch. Gal Reddy, M. Vishnuvardhan Rao, A.Nadamuni Naidu, N.Pralhad Rao, Vinodini Reddy. Use of common salt fortified with iron and iodine (double fortified salt) ‑ A community study in Andhra Pradesh, Final Technical Report, National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad (1994).
- B.V.S. Thimmayamma, Parvathi Rau, G.N.V. Brahmam, Ch. Gal Reddy, Nair KM and N. Pralhad Rao. Profile of diet and nutritional status of residential school ch idlren, Hyderabad (Oasis school) : A report of National Institute of Nutrition. (1993).
- K. Vijayaraghavan, G.N.V.Brahmam, Nair KM, D.Akbar and N.Pralhad Rao. National Nutrition Anaemia Prophylaxis Programme ‑ An evaluation in Andhra Pradesh. National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council of Medical Research, Hyderabad (1987).
Published in Proceedings
- Subba Rao G.M., Raghunatha Rao D., Venkaiah K., Dube A.K. and Rameshwar Sarma K.V. Nutrition Education for School Children using FAO’s Global School-Based Programme - Feeding Minds, Fighting Hunger (FMFH): Proc. National conference on Human Health and Nutrition: A Biotechnological Approach,Mumbai, 2004.
Arjun L. Khandare, Hari Kumar R., Venkaiah K., Gal Reddy Ch. Sharad kumar and Siva Kumar B.: Exploratory Study on Fluorosis in Five Districts of Tamil Nadu State. Proceedings of National Workshop on Nutritional affects on Fluorosis, Chennai.2004.
- K. Madhavan Nair and S. Kalyanasundaram. Water, electrolyte and mineral balance. In the TextBook of Human Nutrition. Editors M.S. Bamji, N. Pralhad Rao and Vinodini Reddy, Oxford & IBM Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 1996, First Edition Chapter‑7, pp. 93‑107. ,Second Edition Chapter -7 pp 98-112 (2003), Third edition Electrolytes and minerals Chapter -7 ( In Press 2009).
N.Rahuramulu, K.Madhavan Nair and S. Kayanasundaram. A Manual of Laboratory Techniques, First Edition 1983. Revised Edition, 2003.
|K. Madhavan Nair. Current Science Vol. 76, No. 5, 698‑699 1999. Annual review of nutrition, volume 18, 1998, Editors; McCormick D.B., Bier D.M and Goodridge AG. Annual reviews, Inc 4139 El Caminoway, California
- B. Sesikeran and K.Madhavan Nair. ‘Eradicate micronutrient deficiencies’. The Hindustan Times, 5th February 2008.
- K. Madhavan Nair. Iron balance in man. Nutrition, Vol 24,No.2, 13 - 22 (1990).
- K.Madhavan Nair. Iron balance in man. Nutrition, Vol 24,No.2, 23 - 31 (1990).
- B. Sivakumar, K. Madhavan Nair, G.N.V. Brahmam and M. Mohanram. Control of iodine deficiency through the safe use of iodized salt. ICMR Bulletin, 26, No.6, 41 - 46 (1996).
- B. Sivakumar and K. Madhavan Nair. A reappraisal of the iron status indicators. ICMR Bulletin, 27, No.10, 100 - 105 (1996).
- K.Madhavan Nair. Iron absorption and its implications in the control of iron deficiency anemia. Nutrition News, National Institute of Nutrition, Vol. 20, No.2, (1999).
- A.E. Mathew, P. Jayalakshmi, P. Mohanti, U.C. Beehera, B. Sivakumar and K. Madhavan Nair. Why food fortification? Nutrition, Vol 33, No.1, (1999).
K. Madhavan Nair. Iron absorption and its implications on strategies to control iron deficiency anemia. ICMR Bulletin 30:15-20, (2000).
- Sreenivasulu K, Raghu P and Nair KM. Zinc inhibits oxidant induced iron uptake and oxidative stress in Caco-2 cells: Role of mineral interaction and iron regulatory protein-1. SFRR Satellite India 2008 Conference 2008, AIIMS, New Delhi, 12-14, February 2008.
- Nair KM. ‘Iron content, bioavailability, factors affecting iron status of Indians’. Symposium on “Maternal and child nutrition: a life cycle perspective”, organized by Nutrition Foundation of India, held at India International Center, New Delhi, 28th – 29th November, 2008.
- Augustine Little Flower, Shahnaz Vazir, Sylvia Fernandez Rao, Vishnu Vardhana Rao, A. Laxmaiah and Nair KM.; A pilot study on perceived stress among higher secondary students: Identification of the target group; XXXXI Annual National Conference of Indian Dietetic Association, A.P. Chapter and National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, December 5-6, 2008.
- K. Madhavan Nair. Caco-2 cell based iron bioavailability: Screening tool for food industry and for crop biofortification. Bio 2007, Organized by the Vision Group on Biotechnology, Bangalore June 07-09, 2007.
- K.Madhavan Nair. Biofortification – Emerging strategy to control micronutrient malnutrition, XXXIX National Conference of NSI, National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad.15th – 16th November 2007.
- K.Madhavan Nair, Iron and zinc cross-talk at the site of absorption: Implications in intervention programmes. 76th SBCI Annual Meeting, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, Nov 25-27, 2007.
- K.Madhavan Nair, Nutritional Anemia's in India, National Symposium and CME Programme on Problems of Anaemia in India : Genetics & Environment, Kolkatta 30th November to 2nd December 2007.
- Ravinder, P.Sreenivasulu, K. Raghu, P. and Madhavan Nair, K. Effect of dietary factors on caco-2 cell zinc uptake: implications in assessing zinc bioavailability. X meeting of Asian Congress of Nutrition, 9-13th September 2007.Taipei, Taiwan.
- Brahmam. GNV, Laxmaiah. A, Madhavan Nair K, Balakrishna, N. Prevalence of micronutrient deficiency disorders in rural areas of select states in India. X meeting of Asian Congress of Nutrition, 9-13th September 2007.Taipei, Taiwan.
- Vasuprada Iyengar, P.Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Iron and zinc interactions during uptake are determined by cellular zinc status of Caco-2 cells. Proceedings of the 39th National conference of Nutrition Society of India, 15- 17th November 2007.
- P. Himabindu, P.Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Caco-2 cell system as model for screening iron bioavailability. Proceedings of the 39th National conference of Nutrition Society of India, 15- 17th November 2007
- Gitanjali, P.Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Herbs as a source to enhance bioavailabile iron from a typical Indian diversified diet. Proceedings of the 39th National conference of Nutrition Society of India, 15- 17th November 2007.
- P.Raghu, B Satyanarayana and K. Madhavan Nair. Modulation of pea ferritin iron bioavailability by ascorbic acid and phytic acid: Studies using coupled in vitro digestion/caco 2 cell model. Workshop for standardization of in vitro digestion/caco 2 cell method for micronutrient bioavailability. HarvestPlus and Department of Human Nutrition, Ohio State University, USA. September 12-13, 2006.
- B.Sathyanarayana, P.Raghu, P.Ravinder and K.Madhavan Nair. Ascorbic acid and phytic acid modulate pea ferritin iron availability in caco 2 cell model. 75th Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists 8-11th December 2006, Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi (Abstract book P. I-47 pp38)
- I.Vasuprada, P.Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Zinc inhibition of iron uptake at the enterocytes: studies using caco 2 cells. 75th Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists 8-11th December 2006, Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi (Abstract book P. I-109 pp66).
- K. Sreenivasulu, P. Raghu and K.Madhavan Nair. Inhibition of cytosolic and mitochondrial aconitase by zinc. 75th Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists 8-11th December 2006 Jawaharlal Nehru University New Delhi (Abstract book P. II-81 pp131).
- B.Sathyanarayana, P.Raghu, Vasuprada Iyengar and K.Madhavan Nair. Novel method for assessing iron density in staple foods: development of dot blot for phytoferritin. Proceedings of the XXXVII Annual Meeting of NSI, 18- 19th November 2005.
- K. Sreenivasulu, P. Raghu, P.Ravinder, and K.Madhavan Nair. Metallothionein –II as a biomarker of zinc status: characterization of human recombinant metallothionein –II. Proceedings of the XXXVII Annual Meeting of NSI, 18- 19th November 2005.
- K. Madhavan Nair. Dietary management for healthy ageing-Food supplements and processed foods. Conference on Nutrition and self-care for healthy ageing. ILSI-India and ILSI –HNI, September 2-3, 2005.
- K. Madhavan Nair, Iron-zinc interation at the site of absorption and the oxidant and antioxidant balance in defeicency . International Conference on ‘Antioxidants and Free radicals in Health – Nutrition and Radioprotectors’ and IV Annual conference of the Society for Free radical Research in India (SFRR)’ St. John’s National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore, 10-12th January 2005
- Sreedhar.B and Madhavan Nair K. Zinc deficient gastrointestinal tract of rat is susceptible to oxidative stress during zinc supplementation. International Conference on Natural Products, free radicals and radioprotectors in Health (NFHR 2004) and III Annual meeting of SFRR- India Annamalinagar, 17-19 January, 2004
- Madhavan Nair .K., Sreedhar. B. Oral supplementation of zinc reduces iron mediated oxidative stress in the intestine of iron deficient rat. IX Asian Congress of Nutrition, New Delhi, February 23-27, 2003.
- K. Madhavan Nair. Regional Conference on micronutrient fortification of foods - "Fortification of Processed Foods: the way to healthier Diet" Organized by ILSI-India and Ministry of Food Processing Industries. Initiatives taken by research organizations in micronutrient fortification of processed foods - Indian scenario, , TulipHotel, Hyderabad. 8th February 2002.
- K. Madhavan Nair. Iron mediated oxidative stress of the intestine - Beneficial effects of antioxidants Ascorbic acid and Vitamin E XXVII Annual National Conference. Association of Clinical Biochemist of India, January 12-14, Hotel Centre Point, Nagpur. 2001
- Binita Nayak and K. Madhavan Nair. In vitro bioavailability of iron from wheat flour fortified with ascorbic acid, EDTA and SHMP with or without iron, XXXIV Annual Meeting of Nutrition Society of India, CIAE, Nabibagh, Berasia Road, Bhopal, MP, 5 - 6th December, 2001.
- K. Madhavan Nair. Iron deficient intestine is more susceptible to peroxidative damage during repletion in rats. 21 - 24 July 2001. International Conference Natural antioxidants and Free Radicals in Human Health and radiation biology (NFHR- 2001). BARC, Anushaktinagar, Mumbai, India.
- B. Sreedhar and K. Madhavan Nair. Intestinal cytosolic aconitase (EC. 184.108.40.206) as a tool to study the iron and zinc interaction,. Poster: 70th Annual meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists (India) Osmania University, Hyderabad. 27-29 th 2001
- K. Madhavan Nair. Serum ferritin and transferrin receptor (STR) as biomarkers of iron status 70th Annual meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists (India). Osmania University, Hyderabad. 27-29 th, 2001.
K. Madhavan Nair. Iron supplementation through popular foods items Workshop on Health and Human Rights in India with special reference to Maternal Anemia. National Human Rights Commission, Department of women and Child Development (Ministry of HRD) and UNICEF. The India International Center, New Delhi. 26-27th April 2000.