Dr. V. Sudershan Rao is Scientist ‘C’ working in Food Safety division of National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad, has done his Masters in Food Science from Central Food Technology Research Institute, Mysore and Doctorate from Mangalore University. His research specialization includes Microbiological Risk Assessment, Food borne disease investigations, HACCP studies and development of analytical methods for food contaminants. He is a recognized PhD supervisor in Nutrition and Food Safety and currently guiding students. He has more than 50 publications on various aspects of food safety. He was bestowed with Kejriwal Award in 1997 by All India Food Processors Association for his work on HACCP; he also won the Platinum City Strategist Award 2009 from the Foundation for Futuristic Cities for preparing a Strategy to streamline streetfood vending in Hyderabad.
He is guest faculty and recourse person in Institutes such as NAARM, ANGRAU, OU, MANAGE, Food and Nutrition Board
He is an expert member of Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives and Contaminants, International Dairy Federation, Food Safety Authority of India and Bureau of Indian Standards. He also serves as a consultant in food safety for AP Foods Ltd., Common Wealth Games 2010. He is a member of the Nutrition Society of India, Indian Dietetic Association and Executive Committee member of the Association of Food Scientists and Technologists.
List of Publications:
In peer-reviewed national and international journals
- Sudershan R V, Naveen Kumar R, Kashinath Lingerkar, Bhaskar V and Kalpagam Polasa. Microbiological Hazard Identification and Exposure Assessment of Poultry Products Sold in Various Localities of Hyderabad, India, The Scientific World Journal, 2012 (In press)
- Agatha Besty, Sudershan RV, Kalpagam Polasa. Evolution of approaches in conduct of Total Diet Studies, Journal of Applied Toxicology, 2012 ( in press )
- Sudershan RV, Naveen Kumar and Polasa K. Foodborne diseases in India – A Review. British Food Journal, 2012 (In press).
- Subbrao, GM., Sudershan RV & B. Sesikeran. Regulation of junk food advertising and marketing – will it work in India ?, Indian Food Industry, 30 (5,6): 21-23,2011
- Sudershan RV, Naveen Kumar R, Kashinath L, Bhaskar & K. Polasa. Antimicrobial activity of lactic acid on the growth of selective food borne pathogens in raw chicken. Internet Journal of Food Safety, 13: 124-130, 2011.
- Subba Rao GM, Sudershan RV, Vishnu Vardhana Rao & Polasa K. Assessment of Food Safety Knowledge and Training needs of Food Inspectors in Andhra Pradesh. Nutrition News, 31: 1-4, 2010
- Sesikeran, B, Polasa,K, Vajreshwari, A, Raghunath,M Nair, KM, Hemalatha, Radhakrishna, KV, Sudip Ghosh, Sudershan RV, Vazir, S Fernandez, S and Raghu. New Areas of Nutrition Research , NFI Bulletin, 31(4): 1-5, 2010
- Sudershan, RV , Naveenkumar, R., Kashinath, L., Bhaskar, V. and Kalpagam Polasa. Economic impact of a foodborne disease outbreak in Hyderabad – A case study,. Ind.J. Nutr.Dietet., Ind.J. Nutr.Dietet,47: 246-1, 2010.
- Sudershan RV, Subba Rao GM and Polasa K Women and Food safety - Some perspectives from India,. WHO Regional Health Forum. 13(2), 11-13, 2009.
- Sudershan RV, Pratima Rao and Kalpagam Polasa Food safety research in India. As. J.Food Ag- Ind. 2(03), 391-412, 2009.
- Subba Rao GM, SudershanRV, Pratima Rao,Vishnu Vardhan Rao M and Kaplagam Polasa Focus group studies on food Safety knowledge, perceptions and practices of school going adolescent girls in South India. Journal of Nutrition and Behaviour 41(5), 340-346,2009.
- Sudershan RV, Subba Rao GM, Vishnu Vardhana Rao and KalpagamPolasa. Food safety awareness, practices and enabling assets in India – A nation-wide needs assessment study Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 55(Suppl 1), 8, 2009.
- Subba Rao, GM, Sudershan RV and Kalpagam Polasa Identifying critical issues and suitable approaches for food safety communication in India – Inferences from a nation-wide study Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 55(Suppl 1), 163, 2009
- Padmaja R. Jonnalgadda, Sudershan RV, Raji,NS and Raghunath Rao,D Identification of Critical Control Points(CCPs) in two selected HACCP certified prawn processing Units Journal of Food Quality 32:177-189,2009.
- SudershanRV SubbaRao,GM., Pratima Rao,Vishnu Vardhan Rao M and Kaplagam Polasa Knowledge and practices of food safety regulators in Southern India. Nutrition &Food Science, 38:110-120, 2008.
- Pratima Rao, Sudershan RV Risk Assessment of synthetic food colours: a case study in Hyderabad, India. International Journal of Food Safety, Nutrition and Public Health,1:68-87, 2008.
- Sudershan R.V ., G.M. SubbaRao, Pratima Rao, Vishnu Vardhana Rao M., and Kalpagam Polasa Food safety related perceptions and practices of mothers – A case study in Hyderabad, India. Food Control, 19: 506-513,2008
- Sudershan RV & Subba Rao GM “Junk” Food – Are We Miscommunicating? Ind.J. Nutr.Dietet., 45:155-159, 2008
- G.M. SubbaRao, Sudershan R.V., Pratima Rao, Vishnu Vardhana Rao M., and Kalpagam Polasa. Food safety knowledge, attitudes and practices of mothers – Findings from focus group studies in South India Appetite, 49: 441-449, 2007.
- Pratima Rao, Sudershan RV, Prasanna Krishna, T & RameshV. Bhat. Consumption of synthetic food colours during festivals in Hyderabad. British Food Journal. 107: 276- 284, 2005.
- Pratima Rao, SudershanRV,Prasana Krishna, T. & RameshV. Bhat Exposure assessment of synthetic food colours in selected population in Hyderabad, India.. Food Additives and Contaminants 21: 415-421, 2004.
- RameshV.Bhat & Sudershan RV The Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures and its relation to Technical Barriers to Trade.. Packaging India 35:73-74,2003.
- Gouthami.S, Sudershan RV, RameshV. Bhat, Suhasini. G, Bharathi.M & K.P.C.Gandhi Chemical poisoning in three Telangana Districts of Andhra Pradesh. Forensic Science International 122:167-171, 2001.
- Padmaja RJ, Bhat RV, Sudershan RV& Naidu AN.Suitability of chemical parameters in setting quality standards for deep fried foods. Food Quality and Preference 12:223-228, 2001.
- Bhat R.V., Sudershan.R.V. & Kashinath. LApplication of Hazard Analysis Critical. Control Point for Improvement of quaity of processed foods. ICMR Bulletin 30 47-50, 2000.
- Ramesh V Bhat, Sudershan RV and Kashinath L HACCP approach for improvement in quaity of Khoa-A case study. Nutrition News. 20(4), 1999.
- Sudershan RV, Babu S, Visweswara Rao K, Bhat RV. Organoleptic evaluation of hydrogenated fat produced from ricebran oil Journal of Oil Technologists Association. 30: 68-70, 1998.
- Sudershan RV, Rao RN and Bhat RV Concepts of HACCP and Traditional Food Industry - A case study of Khoa. . Indian Food Industry, 16: 40-45, 1997.
- Prathap Kumar SH, Sudershan RV, ParamKishan RJ and Bhat RV Disease outbreak in laying hens arising from the consumption of Fumonisin contaminated Food. British Poultry Science 38: 475-479, 1997.
- Singotamu, L. and Sudershan RV. Scanning Electron Microscope studies on Plant Gums. The Journal of Scanning Microscopies. 19: 218-220, 1997.
- Ramesh V Bhat, Vasanthi S, Sashidhar Rao B, Nageshwar Rao,Sudershan. RV, Nagaraja KV, Girijabai, R. Krishna Prasad CA, Vanchinathan, S. Rajat Roy, Subrata Saha, Mukherjee A, Ghosh RK. Toteja GS. and Saxena BNAflatoxin B, contamination in maize samples collected from different geographical regions of India - a multicentric study. Food Additives and Contaminants. 14: 151-156, 1997.
- Bhat RV, Shetty, PH. Amruth RP and Sudershan. R.V.A foodborne disease outbreak due to the consumption of mouldy sorghum and maize containing fumonisin mycotoxins Journal of Toxicology (Clinical Toxicology), 35: 249-255, 1997.
- Babu S, Sudershan RV, Sharma RK and Ramesh V Bhat A simple and rapid polorimetry method for quantitative determination of castor oil.. Journal of American Oil Chemist Society, 73: 397-398, 1996.
- Ramesh V Bhat, Vasanthi S. Sashidhar Rao B, Nageshwar Rao R, Sudershan RV, Nagaraja KV, Girijabai R, Krishna Prasad CA, Vanchinathan S, Rajat Roy, Subrata Saha, Mukherjee A, Ghosh PK, Toteja GS and Saxena BN.Aflatoxin B, contamination in groundnut samples collected from different geographical regions of India: A multicentric study. Food Additives and Contaminants. 13: 325-331, 1996.
- Sudershan RV and Ramesh V Bhat.A survey on veterinary drug use and residues in milk in Hyderabad. Food Additives and Contaminants. 12: 645-650, 1995.
- Sudershan RV, Amruth RP, Bapu Rao S and Bhat RV Foodborne disease in students' hostel due to improper tin coating : A case study. . Journal of College and University Services. 2 : 25-29, 1995.
- Sudershan RV and Bhat RV. Profile of food adulteration in India : Analysts perception. Journal of Food Science and Technology. 32 : 368-372, 1995.
- Ramesh V Bhat, Sudershan RV, Yasodhara P, Gautami S, Gandhi KPC Foodborne disease outbreak due to consumption of rancid biscuits. . Journal of Toxicology (Clinical Toxicology). 33: 219-223, 1995.
- Sudershan RV, Prasad GS, Prasanna Krishna T and Ramesh V Bhat. Field evaluation of aflatoxin detection kit. Journal of Food Protection. 55: 392‑394, 1992.
- Sashidhar RB, Sudershan RV and Ramesh V Bhat Rapid detection of argemone oil in rapeseed/mustard oil with a pressurised mini column. . Journal of American Oil Chemists Society. 67 : 338‑339, 1990.
- Sashidhar RB, Sudershan RV, Ramakrishna Y and Ramesh V Bhat Rapid and specific method for screening ergosterol as an index of fungal contamination in cereal grains. Food Chemistry. 31 : 51‑56, 1989.
- Sashidhar RB, Sudershan RV, Ramakrishna Y, Nahadi S and Ramesh V Bhat. Enhanced fluorescence of ergosoterol by iodination and determination of ergosterol by fluorodensitometry. Analyst. 113 : 809‑812, 1989.
- Krishnamurthy MN, Sudershan RV, Mallika and Kapur OP Detection of animal fat (beef tallow) in vanaspati. Indian Food Packer. 17 : 108‑111, 1983.
Papers Published in Proceedings (Non-Serial)
- Food Safety –Microbiological Risk Assessment in proceedings of National Seminar on Environment, Industrial and Applied Microbiology held at Sardar Patel Mahavidyalaya, Chandrapur, Maharastra , 9th January, 2010.
- Detection of pathogens using advanced methods in proceedings of XXIX Annual Conference of Society of Toxicology, India 2009, 5-7th November, 2009 NIN, Hyderabad.
- Antimicrobial activity of Lactic Acid on the growth of selective foodborne pathogens in Raw chicken in proceedings of XXIX Annual Conference of Society of Toxicology, India 2009, 5-7th November, 2009 NIN, Hyderabad.
- Radiation Safety of Foods in proceedings of National Symposium on the application of Modern Technologies for Agricultural Development, Federation of Farmers Associations, 29thJanuary, 2009. Hyderabad.
- Food Additives, labels and Health Claims in National Seminar on “Food Nutrition -Societal Importance” 21-22 November, 2008, National Geological Research Institute, Hyderabad.
- Radiation Safety of Foods in National Symposium on the application of Modern Technologies for Agricultural Development, Federation of Farmers Associations, 29th January, 2009. Hyderabad.
- Women and Household Food Safety in India – Inferences from a Nationwide study. Subba RaoGM, Sudershan Rv and K.Polasa in 6th International Conference of the Indian Association of Social Scientist and Health 7-8th March, 2009 Pondichery.
- Investigation of food poisoning cases in Hyderabad during 2003-2004. Naveen Kumar R, Kashinath L. and Sudershan Rao V. In : XXXI Annual Conference of Environmental Mutagens Society of India, 23-25th February 2006. Hyderabad, India.
- Risk Assessment of Toxic Colours, Pratima Rao and Sudershan R V.In : XXXI Annual Conference of Environmental Mutagens Society of India, 23-25th February 2006. Hyderabad, India.
- Risk assessment of synthetic food colours among children in Hyderabad. Pratima Rao, V.Sudershan Rao and Ramesh V.Bhat. In: XXXVII Annual Meeting of Nutrition Society of India, 18-19th November 2005, Hyderabad, India.
- Utilization of fermented moldy sorghum as cattle feed. Sudershan RV., Vasanthi, S. & Bhat RV. In: Proceeding of the expert committee meeting on Alternative uses of sorghum and pearl millet in Asia , 2004.
- Implementation of Prevention of Food Adulteration Act in India- The way ahead Ramesh V.Bhat and Sudershan RV In: Proceedings of The First All India Conference on Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, 10-11th August 2002. Hyderabad, India.
- Scanning electron microscope (SEM) studies on plant gums. Singotamu and Sudershan RV. In: Proceedings of Scanning 97. The IX Annual International Scientific Meeting, 19-22, April 1997, California, USA.
- Food borne diseases in children due to consumption of foods produced in unorganised sector of food industry. Sudershan RV and Ramesh V Bhat. In : Proceedings of 5th Asian Food Conference, 24‑29 July 1994, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Toxic legumes as adulterants in food legumes. Sudershan RV and Ramesh V Bhat. In: Recent advances of research in antinutritional factors in legume seeds. In : Proceedings of 2nd International Antinutritional Factors Workshop. 1‑3 December 1993, Wageningen, The Netherlands. Eds. Van der Poel, J Huisman and Saini HS, Wageningen Pers, Wageningen, 1993, 151-153.
- Pattern and menace of food adulteration in India. Sudershan RV and Ramesh V Bhat. In: Proceedings of 3rd World Congress of Foodborne Infections and Intoxication’s. 16-19 June 1992, Berlin, Germany, p.1110.
Chapters in Books
- Women and Household Food Safety in India – Inferences from a Nation Wide Study- in Health, Equity and Human Rights - Perspectives and Issues (2010)
- Food Safety Standards - in Hand Book on Nutrition (2009)
- Functional Foods - in Hand Book on Nutrition (2009)
- Food Additives, labeling and Health Claims –in A Hand book for Tomorrow’s Dieticians(2008)
- Andhra Pradesh Total Diet Study- A Report on Dietary Exposure Assessment of Chemical Contaminants. Polasa, K, Sudershan RV, Vishnu Vardhan Rao M, Bhaskarachary K, Padmaja J, Khandare, AL and S. Vasanthi NIN, 2009. Food and Drug Toxicology Research Centre, NIN , Hyderabad.
- Kalpagam Polasa, V. Sudershan Rao, G.M.Subba Rao, M. Vishnu Vardhana Rao, Pratima Rao and B. Siva Kumar. National Report on KABP Study on Food Safety in India. Hyderabad: Food and Drug Toxicology Research Centre, NIN, India; 2006.
- Laxmaiah A, Sudershan RV, Subba Rao GM and Brahmam GNV. Assessment of Current Scenario of Food Labelling in India – A Report. Hyderabad: National Institute of Nutrition, India 2009.
- Dietary Safety Assessment of Food Contaminants and Adulterants, RameshV. Bhat, Vijayaraghavan,K ,Babu, S, Sudershan RV. 2003. Hyderabad: National Institute of Nutrition, India.
- Report on Organoleptic Evaluation of Rice Bran Oil Vanaspati. Babu S, Sudershan RV Bhat RV. 1996. Hyderabad: National Institute of Nutrition, India
- Safety begins at home, Times Food Processing Journal 7:53-56, 2009.
- Grassroots-level training: A must for food safety Times Food Processing Journal, Feb-Mar: 37-40, 2009.
- Focus Group Studies on Food Safety Perception and Practices of Women Nutrition News 29(4): 1-4, 2008.
- Foods and Health- Fast Food, Junk Foods…. Satayushi (Diwali Special), 28, 202, 2006.
- All the Colours of Food. The Hindu, 23rd July 2006.
- Keep an eye on what you eat. The Hindu, 16th April 2006.
- Newer adulterants and contaminants. Health Action, 10: 23-24, 1997.
- Antibiotic residues in milk. The Hindu, 28th November, 1996.
- Conventional and newer adulterants in India. Nutrition, 1994.
- Prevention of Food Adulteration Act ‑ Packed foods. Jagruti (Industrial Special Issue on Packed Foods), 23‑29 July 1990.
- Aflatoxin hazard : Prevention by detection. NECC Review. November/December 1988.
- Aflatoxin, a grave threat to poultry. The Hindu, 14 September 1988.