Dr.B.Sesikeran, Director of the National Institute of Nutrition, Indian Council
of Medical Research has been a nutritional pathologist of repute for over 30 years.
He has an MBBS degree from Stanley Medical College, Chennai and an MD in Pathology
from Gandhi Medical College, Hyderabad. He nurtured an interest for Nutrition Sciences
right in his student days. In fact, as a student he received the Nutrition Medal
from the Department of Community Medicine at Stanley Medical College.
He has joined the National Institute of Nutrition in 1977 and has been serving as
the Director of the Institute since 2006. His areas of research interest where he
has made significant contributions are in nutritional pathology, diet and cancer,
micronutrients and apoptosis and iron absorption from the gut. Before assuming charge
as the Director of NIN he was the Co-ordinator for the Pre-clinical Toxicology Unit
at the Institute which is now known all over the country for its excellence. He
has helped in setting up several Toxicology labs in Government as well as in Industrial
In addition, he is a well known diagnostic pathologist in Andhra Pradesh. He served
as Secretary, Indian Association of Pathologists & Microbiologists of AP and Joint
Secretary for Nutrition Society of India. He is a Fellow of the A.P. Akademi of
Sciences, National Academy of Medical Sciences and International Medical Scientists
Academy. He is also guiding many PhDs, MD and MDS students.
He has to his credit over 50 publications in national international journals, 7
chapters in books and monographs, several technical reports, papers in proceedings
of conferences and popular articles.
He is a recipient of many awards and honours, the most significant among them being,
Best Paper Award at IAPM XIV Annual Conference in 1995; Best Paper Award from Indian
Society of Gastroenterology, 1997; Rao Rangayamma Memorial Oration Award from Department
of Oncology, NIMS, Hyderabad in 2000, Jubilee S Prathap Kumar Endowment Lecture
Award from the Indian Dietetic Association in 2003; Dr.K.V.Rao Memorial Oration
from Dr.K.V.Rao Scientific Society in 2007; Fellow of A.P.Akademi of Sciences, Hyderabadin
2007; Fellow of National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi in 2008; Dr.D. Govinda
Reddy Memorial Oration Award from NTR University of Health Sciences in 2008; Dr.P.Narasimha
Rao International Award from International Medical Sciences Academy, New Delhi in
2009 and Kamalapuri Sabharwal Memorial Oration Award from Lady Irwin College, New
Delhi in 2009.
List of Publications:
Papers Published in Peer Reviewed Journals
1. Reddy D Raja, Sastry KVR, Subba Rao K, Reddy PK, Naidu MRC, Rao SBP. and Sesikeran
B. Cystic Mengiomas in children. Child's Nerv Syst 2: 317-319, 1986.
2. Annapurna VV, Mukundan MA , Sesikeran B. and Bamji MS. Effects of female sex
steroids on Concanavalin – A mediated agglutination of hepatocytes from non-regenerating
and regenerating rat liver and hepatic tumor marker enzymes. Biochem Med Metab Biol
38(3): 259-264, 1987.
3. Bhat RV, Sesikeran B, Reddy VK. and Radhaiah G. Toxicological evaluation of Gum
Karaya in Rhesus Monkeys. J Food Safety 8(3): 161-166, 1987.
4. Giridharan N, Sesikeran B, Bamji MS. and Madhyastha MN. Dose and time related
changes in LDH-X activity/epididymal carnitine levels and fertility in gossypol
treated male rats. Contraception 35(1): 89-100, 1987.
5. Annapurna VV, Mukundan MA, Sesikeran B, Bamji MS. Long term effects of female
sex steroids on female rat liver in an initiator – promoter model of hepatocarcinogenesis.
Indian J Biochem Biophys. 25 (6): 708-713, 1988.
6. Annapurna VV, Mukundan MA, Sesikeran B. and Bamji MS. Effect of Ovulen-50 Diethylnitrosamine
and phenobarbitol on liver regeneration in female rats. J Biosci. 14(1): 1-7, 1989.
7. Raghuram TC, Sesikeran B. and Bhat RV. Ergot and idiopathic sclerosing encapsulating
peritonitis. Lancet. II (8668): 917, 1989.
8. Thavaraj V. and Sesikeran B. Histopathological changes in skin of children with
clinical protein-calorie malnutrition before and after recovery. J Trop Pediatr
35(3): 105-108, 1989.
9. Polasa K, Sesikeran B, Prasanna Krishna T. and Krishnaswamy K. Turmeric (Cucuma
longa) – induced reduction in urinary mutagens. Food Chem Toxicol 29(10): 699-706,
10. Srinivasa Rao P, Udayasekhara Rao P. and Sesikeran B. Serum cholesterol, triglycerides
and total lipid fatty acids of rats in response to Okra (Hibiscus esculentus) seed
oil. J Am Oil Chem Soc 68(6): 433- 435, 1991.
11. Sundeep Reddy G, Sesikeran B. and Syamala Bhaskaran C. Nucleolar organizer regions
in smooth muscle and breast tumors. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 35(3): 219-228, 1992.
12. Harinarayana Rao S and Sesikeran B. Congenital anophthalmia in CFY rats : A
newly identified autosomal recessive mutation. Lab Animal Sci 42(6): 623-625, 1992.
13. Quadri SSYH. and Sesikeran B. Spontaneous malignant fibrous histocytomas in
Sprague Dawley rat. Lab Animals India 1(4): 43-46, 1992.
14. Jagadeesan V, Jayanthi Rao N and Sesikeran B. Effect of iron deficiency on DMH-induced
gastrointestinal tract tumours and occurrence of hepatocyte abnormalities in fischer
rats. Nutr Cancer 22 (3): 285-291, 1994.
15. Sesikeran B, Harinarayana Rao S, Krishnamurthi D, Raja Reddy D. Studies on sural
nerve biopsies in endemic skeletal fluorosis. Fluoride 27(4): 189-193, 1994.
16. Ghafoorunissa, Reddy V. and Sesikeran B. Palmolein and groundnut oil have comparable
effect on blood lipids and platelet aggregation in healthy subjects. Lipids 30(12):
17. Nagababu E, Sesikaran B. and Lakshmaiah N. The protective effects of eugenol
on carbon tetrachloride induced hepatotoxicity in rat. Free Radical Res 23(6): 617-627,
18. Lakshmy R, Srinivasa Rao P, Sesikeran B. and Padmini Suryaprakash. Iodine metabolism
in response to goitrogen induced altered thyroid status under conditions of moderate
and high intake of iodine. Horm Metab Res 27(10): 450-454, 1995.
19. Babu S, Bhat RV, Udayakumar P, Sesikeran B, Visweswara Rao K, Aruna P, Ramachandra
Reddy, P. A comparative clinicopathological study or oral submucous fibrosis in
habitual chewers of pan masala and betel quid. J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 34(3): 317-322.
20. Udayasekhara Rao P, Sesikeran B, Srinivasa Rao P, Naidu AN, Vikas Rao V, Ramachandran
EP. Short term nutritional and safety evaluation of fenugreek. Nutr Res. 16(9):
1495- 1505, 1996.
21. Babu S, Sesikeran B. and Bhat RV. Oral sub-mucous fibrosis among teenagers chewing
tobacco areca nut and pan masala. Lancet 348 (9027): 692, 1996.
22. Nair KM, Sesikeran B, Ranganthan S. and SivaKumar B. Bioeffect and safety of
long term feeding of common salt fortified with iron and iodine (double fortified
salt) in rat. Nutr Res 18 (1): 121-130, 1998.
23. Kamala Krishnaswamy, Goud VK, Sesikeran B, Mukundan MA, Krishna TP. Retardation
of experimental tumorigenesis and reduction in DNA adducts by turmeric and curcumin.
Nutrition and Cancer 30(2): 163-166, 1998.
24. Ayesha Ismail, Raghunath M, Sesikeran B. and Raghuramulu N. Effect of oral administration
of vitamin D on glucose tolerance and insulin secretion in diabetes mellitus. Diabetes
Metab Nutr 11(5): 261-265, 1999.
25. Sesikeran B, Krishnamurthi D, Hari Narayana Rao S, Ramachandran EP and Raja
Reddy D. Studies on skeletal muscle biopsies in endemic skeletal fluorosis. Neurology
India 48: 187-188, 2000.
26. Bhanuprakash Reddy G, Yadagiri Reddy P, Vijayalakshmi A, Satish Kumar M, Suryanarayana
P. and Sesikeran B. Effect of long term dietary manipulation on the aggregation
of rat lens crystallins: Role of -crystallin chaperone function Molecular Vision
8: 298- 305, 2002.
27. Ghafoorunissa, Vani A, Laxmi R, Sesikeran B. Effect of dietary alpha linolenic
acid from blended oils on biochemical indices of coronary heart disease in Indians.
Lipids 37(11): 1077-1086, 2002.
28. Bhaskaram P, Madhavan Nair K, Balakrishna N, Ravinder P, Sesikeran B. Serum
transferring receptor in children with respiratory infections. Eur J Clin Nutr 57:
29. Anand K Kondapi, Neelima Mulpuri, Mandraju RK, Sesikeran B, Subba Rao K.Analysis
of age dependant changes of Topoisomerase II ά and ß in rat brain. Int J Devl Neurosci.
22: 19-30, 2004.
30. Vasanthi Siriguri, Sesikeran B. and Ramesh V Bhat. Starlink genetically modified
corn and allergenicity in an individual. J Allergy Clin Immunol 13(5): 1003, 2004.
31. Madhavan Nair K, Bhaskaram P, Balakrishna N, Ravinder P. and Sesikeran B. Serum
Transferrin receptor to detect iron deficiency and evaluate the effect of iron supplement
in pregnant women- A prospective study. Nutrition 20(10) , 2004.
32. Lakshmi B Vijaya, Sesikeran B, Udaykumar P, Kalyanasundaram S, Raghunath M.
Effects of vitamin restriction and supplementation on rat intestinal epithelial
cell apoptosis. Free Radical and Medicine 38: 1614-1624, 2005.
33. Vijayalakshmi B, Sesikeran B, Uday Kumar P, Kalyanasundaram S and Raghunath
M. Chronic low intake of protein or vitamins increases apoptosis in the intestinal
epithelial cells in WNIN rats. Nutrition – The Int. J Basic Appl. Nutr. 21: 949-960,
34. Jeyakumar SM, Vajreswari A, Sesikeran B and Giridharan NV. Vitamin A supplementation
induces adipose tissue loss through apoptosis in lean but not in obese rats of the
WNIN/Ob strain. J Mol Endocrinol 35: 391-398, 2005.
35. Syed Qadri SYH, Uday Kumar P. and Sesikeran B. Spontaneous pathological lesions
of liver and lungs in pre-clinical toxicology evaluation studies. Ind J Vet Pathol.
29(2): 102-105, 2005.
36. Vijayalakshmi B, Sesikeran B, Uday Kumar P, Kalyanasundaram S and Raghunath
M. Chronic low vitamin intake potentiates cisplatin induced apoptosis in the intestinal
epithelial cells in WNIN rat. World J Gastroenterol 21, 12(7): 1078-85, 2006.
37. Uday Kumar P, Dinesh Kumar B, Annapurna VV, Prasanna Krishna T, Kalyanasundaram
S, Suresh P, Harishankar N, Jagadeesan V, Hariharan S, Nadamuni Naidu A, Krishnaswamy
K, Rangarajan PN, Srinivasan VA, Reddy GA. and Sesikeran B. Non-clinical toxicology
study of recombinant-plasmid DNA anti-rabies vaccines. Vaccine 24: 2790-2798, 2006.
38. Sesikeran B. Micronutrients and cancer. The Ind. J. Nutr. Dietet. 43: 259-261,
39. Mahesh Kumar J, Reddy L, Aparna V, Srinivas G, Nagarajan P, Venkatesh R, Sreekumar
C, Sesikeran B. Strobilocerus fasciolaris infection with hepatic sarcoma and gastroenteropathy
in a Wistar colony. Veterinary Parasitology 141: 362-367, 2006.
40. Vasantha LK, Sesikeran B. and Madhavan Nair K. Evidence for a sequential transfer
of iron amongst ferritin, transferrin and transferrin receptor during duodenal absorption
of iron in rat and human. World J Gastroenterol 21; 13(7): 1042-1052, 2007.
41. Ranganathan S. and Sesikeran B. Development of the Double Fortified Salt from
the National Institute of Nutrition. Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety 7:
42. Sesikeran B. and Siruguri Vasanthi. Constantly evolving safety assessment protocols
for GM foods. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 17(S1): 241-244, 2008.
43. Hemalatha R, Ramalakshmi BA, Quadri SSYH, Balakrishna N, Annapurna VV. and Sesikeran
B. Intrauterine growth restriction in term women with histologic chorioamnionitis.
Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 1(1):18-24, 2008.
44. Dorisetty RK, Sashi Kiran G, Malathi RU, Sesikeran B. and Bhonde RR. And Vijayalakshmi
Venkatesan. Immunolocalization of nestin in pancreatic tissue of mice at different
ages. World J Gastroenterol 14(46): 7112-7116, 2008.
45. Bhaskarachary K, Ramulu P, Udayasekhara Rao P, Bapurao S, Kamala Krishnaswamy,
Syed Qadri, Udayakumar P. and Sesikeran B. Nutritional and toxicological evaluation
of wheat grown on soils with or without fly ash treatment. J Sci Food Agric 89:
46. Uday Kumar P, Neelam L, Kaladhar M. and Sesikeran B. Immunohistochemical study
of Aging Rat Brain – Effect of High Aluminium and Restricted Calcium in Diets. Ann
Natl Acad Sci (India) 45(2): 117-129, 2009.
47. Harishankar N, Uday Kumar P, Sesikeran B. and Giridharan NV. Obesity associated
pathophysiological and histological changes in WNIN obese rats. Laboratory Investigation
48. Quadri SSYH, Uday Kumar P. and Sesikeran B. Importance of pathology in toxicological
Papers published in Books / Monographs
1. Sesikeran B. and Kamala Krishnaswamy (Book Review): Human Nutrition in the Developing
World, ed. M.C.Latham, FAO Food Nutr, Sr 29 ( Reviewed in Current Science) 75 (9)
: 963, 1998.
2. Sesikeran B. A historical dictionary of OF INDIAN FOOD, ED.BY K.T.ACHAYA. Oxford
Univ.Press, Delhi, 1998. (Reviewed in Indian J Med.Res.109 (5):195, 1999.
3. Patnaik R, Choudary TN, Sesikeran B. Nutrition and the skin. IADVL Text Book
and Atlas of Dermatology ed. Valia RG, Valia AR. Vol. 2. 2nd ed. (2001), Bhalani
Publishing House, Mumbai, India.
4. Sivakumar B, Rameswara Sarma KV, Brahmam GNV, Sesikeran B, Venkaiah K, Dinesh
Kumar B, Hari Kumar R, Radhakrishna KV, Babu JJ, Arlappa N, et al. In: Tsunami:
ICMR Response” ed. & publ. By M.D.Gupte, NIE, ICMR, Chennai, 35-36, 2005..
5. Sesikeran B. Emerging Viruses : The greatest challenge to Biosecurity – A historical
perspective In: Biosecurity, Eds. Shetty PK, Ajay Parida and Swaminathan MS., pp.
153-159, National Institute of Advanced Studies, Bangalore, 2008.
6. Qadri SSYH, Uday Kumar P. and Sesikeran B. Importance of Pathology in Toxicological
studies. In: Good Laboratory Practice: Emphasis on Medical Devices, ed. Mohanan
PV. & Mahader Murthy, pp. 126-130, Thiruvananthapuram, SCTIMST, 2009.
7. Enika Nagababu Joseph M Rifkind, Sesikeran Boindala and Lakshmaiah Nakka Assessment
of antioxidant activity of Eugenol In vitro and In vivo. In : Free Radicals and
Antioxidant Protocols, Methods in Molecular Biology, Eds. Uppu RM et al, Humana
Press, pp. 165-180, 2009.
Papers published in Symposia / Proceedings
1. Harinarayana Rao S, Madhusudhan Rao N. and Sesikeran B. Zajdela ascitic hepatoma
(ZAH) in Wistar female rats : a model for tumor induced immune hemolytic anaemia
(TIIHA). In "Proc of Indian Society of Cell Biology”, 13th All India Conference,
held at CCMB, Hyderabad, on 27-29 Dec 1989, p.58.
2. Polasa K, Sesikeran B. and Krishnaswamy K. Antimutagenicity of Turmeric (Curcuma
longa). In : Proceedings of Nutrition Society of India, Vol. 36, p. 102, 1990.
3. Sesikeran B. Intestinal mucosal cell apoptosis and its relevance to nutrient
absorption and enteral nutrition In "Souvenir of 5th Annual Conference of Indian
Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition (ISPEN), Pune. p.88-92, 1999.
4. Sesikeran B. and Kalpagam Polasa. Clinical assessment of allergy – safety issue
and evaluation. In : National seminar on food safety and quality control in India,
organized by Acharya N.G.Ranga Agricultural University, Hyd’bad, pp. 73-77, 2005.
5. Kalpagam Polasa and Sesikeran B. Genetically modified food – safety and risk.
In : National seminar on food safety and quality control in India, organized by
Acharya N.G.Ranga Agricultural University, Hyd’bad, pp. 78-82, 2005.
6. Vijayalakshmi V, Maniprabha C, Sesikeran B. and Bhonde RR. Identification and
characterization of pancreatic progenitors from adult pancreatic tissue. In : Proceedings
of the Eleventh Annual Symposium “Stem Cell Research : From Bench to Bedside”, eds.
Dr.O.P.Sood and Dr.R.S.Bakshi, pp. 29-33, held at LV Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad,
7. Sesikeran B. and Shahnaz Vazir. Nutrition and the millennium development goals.
Proc. A.P. Akademi of Sciences 10 (3 & 4): 185-191, 2006.
8. Srinivasa Reddy Y, Prasanna Krishna T, Ramalakshmi BA, Chandra Sekaran K, Sesikeran
B, Dinesh Kumar B. Interaction between nutrients and heavy metal pollutants in post-harvest
women and their neonates. In: Nutrition Society of India, Vol., p.17, 2006.
9. Ranganathan S. and Sesikeran B. Fortification of Salt Past, Present and Future,
In: National Nutrition Policy : Essential Elements, Proceedings of Nutrition Foundation
of India 27-28 June, 2008, pp.90-103, NFI, New Delhi.
1. Sesikeran, B. Alcohol and its ill effects. Nutrition 17(4): 12-21, 1983.
2. Sesikaran B and Quadri SSYH. Pathology of laboratory animals. LAIS Centre News.
23(1): 1-8, 1990.
3. Sesikeran B. Apoptosis. IAPM (AP Chapter) News Bulletin 3: 3-4, 1996.
4. Sesikeran B. and Jagadeesan V. Alcohol drinking - A concern in India. Monitor:
Central European Health & Environment Newsletter 5 (2): 1,6, 1997.
5. Uday Kumar P, Sesikeran B, Nagalakshmi and Ramachandra Reddy P. Nucleolar organizer
regions (NORS) in oral mucosal biopsies. Amala Res Bull. 20: 1-3, 2000.
6. Sesikeran B, Vijayalaxmi A, Uday Kumar P, Kalyanasundaram S, Raghunath M. Diet
and apoptosis. Nutrition News 23 (2): 1-4, 2002.
7. Ummeayman Rangwala and Sesikeran B. Naturally occurring carcinogens (cancer promoters)
& anticarcinogens (cancer inhibitors) in human diet. Bulletin of PFNDAI, 3-8, 2006.
8. Sesikeran B. Nutrition and Fitness. Bulletin of PFNDAI, 3-5, 2006.
9. Sesikeran B. Lifestyle and health. PFNDAI Bulletin 3-6, 2007.
10. Sesikeran B. National Institute of Nutrition – Profile. Biotech News 2: 9-10,
11. Sesikeran B. Salt and Hypertension. Nutrition 38(1): 3-15, 2007.
12. Sesikeran B. Nutrition and Health. Bulletin of PFNDAI, 2008.
13. Hemalatha R. and Sesikeran B. Role of probiotics in Nutrition