K. Venkaiah, Scientist ‘E’ has been working as Biostatistician for last 26 years. He has completed post-graduation from University of Pune, Pune and Diploma in Biostatistics from Institute for Research in Medical statistics (ICMR), New Delhi.
In 2007, he was nominated as Central Committee member for Committee for the Purpose of Control and Supervision of Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA), Ministry of Environment & Forestry for a period four years. He is also member of Institutional Animal Ethical Committee (IAEC) for several reputed Pharmaceutical Laboratories.
He worked as Asst. Research Officer in ICMR sponsored project for two years in Govt. Medical College, Jabalpur, One year in Institute for Research In Medical Statistics as Research Officer and one year as Research Officer again in Govt. Medical College, Jabalpur. He joined the National Institute of Occupational Health, Ahmedabad, Gujarat as Research Officer-Biostatistics in 1988 and served till 1999.
He shifted to National Institute of Nutrition in the year 2000 and is currently Scientist ‘E and Head of Biostatistics Division. His areas of research interest are Application Biostatistics (Logistic regression, multivariate analysis, ANOVA, and Dose Effect Analysis) in different disciplines such as Occupational health diseases; large Community Surreys on nutritional & Dietary assessment; Toxicology, experimental studies on animals and Teaching Biostatistics. He has rich experience in preparation of project proposals and budget required for carrying the projects.
So far, He assisted and carried out statistical analyses to nearly 300 post graduate medical students (MD/MDS/PhD/DNB) for their thesis work. He is also involved in teaching Research Methodology and Biostatistics to the Post Graduate Medical & Science students in various Universities and Research Institutes.
He has to his credit over 30 publications in national international journals, several technical reports, papers in proceedings of conferences and popular articles.
List of Publications:
- Arlappa N, Mallikharjuna Rao K, Venkaiah K, Brahmam GNV, and Vijayaraghavan K. Nutritional parameters and chronic Energy Deficiency in older adults of desert areas of Western Rajasthan, India. J. Nutr for the Elderly. Vol28 (1), p:61-71, 2009.
- N.Arlappa, K.Venkaiah, K.Mallikarjuna Rao, Ch.Gal Reddy, S.Sharad Kumar, M.Ravindranath, G.N.V.Brahmam, K.Vijayaraghavan. Prevalence of Chronic Energy Deficiency in Rural-Dwelling Older Indian Adults during a period of severe Drought. Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly, 28:301-312, 2009.
- Ginnela N.V.Brahmam, Venkaiah Kodavalla, Hemalatha Rajkumar, Harikumar Rachkulla, Srinivasan Kallam, Shiva Prakash Myakala, Ramesh S. Paranjape, Mohan D. Gupte, Lakshmi Ramakrishnan, Anjalee Kohli and Banadakoppa M. Ramesh. Sexual Practices, HIV and sexually transmitted infections among self-identified men who have sex with men in four high HIV prevalence states of India. AIDS, Vol. 22, Supplement 5th December 2008, S45-58.
- Al Khandare, V Siruguri, A.Rao, K.Venkaiah, Ch..Gal Reddy and GS Rao “ Diet and nutrition status of children in four tribal blocks of Thane district of Maharastra, India . Pakistan Journal of Nutrition 7 (3) 485-488, 2008
- Rita Saxena, K.Venkaiah, P.Anitha and M.Rghunath “Anitoxidant activity of commonly consumed plant foods of India: Contribution of their Phenolic content, International Journal of Food Sciences & Nutrition, June 2007, 58 (4): 250-260.
- Hari Kumar.R., Arjun L. Khandare, Venkaiah K.Gal Reddy Ch., Brahmam G.N.V. and Sivakumar B.: Assessment of current status of fluorosis in north western districts of Tamil Nadu using community index for dental fluorosis. J. Of Hum. Ecol. 2007, 21(1):27-32.
- S.B. Agarwal, V.K. Bhatnagar, Amol Agarwal, Usha Agarwal, K.Venkaiah, S.K. Nigam, S.K. Kashyap “Impairment in Clinical Indices in Acute Organophosphate Insecticide Poisoning Patients in India” The International Journal of Toxicology. 2007, Vol. 4, Number 1.
- Laxmaiah, A., Arlappa, N., Harikumar. R., Venkaiah, K and Brahmam, GNVB. “Diet and Nutrition Status among Tribal population in the ITDA areas, Bhadrachalam, Khammam”J Hum Ecol 2007; 21 (2) 79-86.
- Krishnakumari Menon, Venkaiah K. Vijayaraghavan K. and Rameswara Sarma K.V. : Growth faltering in young children in a rural population in Telangana region of Andhra Pradesh. The Ind. J Nutr. Dietet. (2006), 43,192.
- Subba Rao G.M., Raghunatha Rao D., Venkaiah K., Dube A.K. and Rameswar sarma K.V. Evaluation of FAO’s global school based initiative Feeding Minds, Fighting Hunger (FMFH) in schools of Hyderabad. Public HealthNutr. 2006 Dec; 9(8):991-5.
- Mallikarjuna Rao K., Harikumar R., Venkaiah K. and Brahmam G.N.V.: Nutritional status of Saharia – a primitive tribe of Rajasthan. Jour. Of Human Ecology, 2006: 19(2): 117-123.
- K. Mallikarjuna Rao K., Balakrishna N., Laxmaiah A., Venkaiah K. and Brahmam G.N.V.: Diet and nutritional status of adolescent tribal population in nine States of India. Asia Pecific J. Clin. Nutrition, 2006: 15(1): 64-71.
- Ravindranath M., Venkaiah K., Vishnuvardhana Rao M., Gal Reddy Ch., K Mallikarjuna Rao K., Sharad Kumar, Brahmam GNV and Vijayaraghavan K. Effect Of Drought On Nutritional Status Of Rural Community In Karnataka Jour of Human Ecology, 2005: 18(3): 245-252.
- Harikumar.R, Venkiah K., Arlappa.N, Sharad kumar, Brahmam.G.N.V, Vijayaraghavan.K. Diet and nutritional situation of the population in the severely drought affected areas of Gujarat. J. Of Hum. Ecol. 17(1); 1-11 2005.
- Ghosh SK, Desai MR, Pandya GL, Bhatia KR, Venkaiah K. and, Kulkarni PK. Toxicity of agricultural dust extract using Microtox. Bull Environ Contam Toxicology. Jan; 74 (1): 100-6 2005.
- VVNS Jhansi Lakshmi, Kaiser Jamil, K. Venkaiah, D. Bharath and DVR Satya Kumar. Differential susceptibility of silkworm, Bombyx mori L.races to white muscardine disease caused by Beauveria bassiana (Bals.) Vuill. Entomon 30(1) 1-6(2005).
- Arjun L.Khandare, Uday Kumar P., Rao G. Shanker, K.Venkaiah and N.Lakshmaiah . Additional Beneficial Effect of Tamarind Ingestion Over Defluoridated Water Supply to Adolescent Boys in a Fluorotic Area. Nutrition. 20: 433-436, 2004.
- Bhargavi V, Khandare AL, Venkaiah K, Sarojini G.Mineral content of water and food in fluorotic villages and prevalence of dental fluorosis. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2004 Sep; 100(3): 195-203.
- K Mallikarjuna Rao A.Laxmaiah, Ravindranath M., K.Venkaiah D.Hanumantha Rao, Brahmam GNV and Vijayaraghavan K. Diet and Nutrition during Drought in Western Rajasthan, India. J. Hum. Ecol. 14(3): 153-158 (2003).
- V.K. Bhatnagar, S.S.A. Zaidi, R.Kashyap, A.B. Karnik, P.K.Kulakarni, K.Venkaiah, M.P.Shah and H.N. Sayed. Pesticide residues in formulators and their relevance to certain biological indices. Toxicol.Int.Vol. 10, No 1, pp 47-50, 2003.
- K. Venkaiah, K.Damayanthi, M.U.Nayak, and K.Vijayaraghvan: Diet and nutritional status of rural adolescents in India. European J. Clin. Nutrition 56, 1119-1125 ,2002.
- Karnik A.B., Suthar A.M., Patel M.M., Pandya C.B., Sadhu H.G., Venkaiah K., Kashyap S.K. and Nigam S.K. Immunological and biochemical studies in workers exposed to inorganic mercury in chloralkali plant. Indian Journal of Industrial Medicine, Vol. 43 (No.1) pp 4-7, 1997.
- Ghosh S.K., Desai Manisha, Pandya G.L. and Venkaiah K. Airborne aflatoxin in grain processing industries in India. American Industrial Hyg. Association Journal, Vol. 58 pp 583-586, 1997.
- Yogendra Verma S.G., Ruparelia M.C. Hargan, Venkaiah K. and Kulkarni P.K., Toxicity of textile industrial effluents on waterflea (Daphnia magna) and fish (Satherodon omossambicus). Indian J. Environ. Protec. Vol. 15, pp 906-908, 1995.
- Ruparelia S.G., Yogendra Verma, Hargan M.C., Venkaiah K. and Kulkarni P.K. Toxicity of synthetic pyrethroid (cypermethrin) to child (Sarotherodon mossambicus) and daphnid (Daphnia magna). Indian J. Envir. Protec. Vol. 15, pp 415-419, 1995.
- Venkaiah K., Sadhu H.G., Sharma, Y.K. and Kashyap S.K. Multiple logistic model to assess the non-occupational pneumoconiosis Risk. Indian Journal of Occupational Health, Vol.3, pp 103-107, 1993.
- Raiyani C.V., Shah S.H., Desai N.M., Venkaiah, K., Patel J.S., Parikh D.J. and Kashyap S.K. Characterisation and problems of indoor pollution due to cooking stove smoke. Atmospheric Environment. Vol. 27 A pp 1643-1655, 1993.
- Nigam S.K., Karnik A.B., Chattopadhyay P., Lakkad B.C., Venkaiah K., and Kashyap S.K. Clinical and Biochemical investigations to evolve early diagnosis in workers involved in the manufacture of Hexachlorocyclohexane. Int. Arc. Occup. Health, 65, pp S 193 - S 196, 1993.
- Nigam S.K., Suthar A.M., Patel M.M., Karnik A.B., Dave S.K., Kashyap S.K. and Venkaiah K. Humoral immunological profile of workers exposed to asbestos in asbestos mines. Indian J. Med. Res. (B), Vol.8, pp 274-277, 1993.
- Srivastava Y., Venkatakrishna Bhatt H., Verma Y., Venkaiah K. and Raval B.H. Antidiabetic and adaptogenic properties of Momordica charantia extract: and experimental and clinical evaluation. Phytotherapy Research. Vol. 7, pp 285-289, 1993.
- Yogendra Verma, Ruparelia S.G., Hargan M.C., Venkaiah K. and Kulkarni P.K., Acute Toxicity of azo dyes on water flea Daphnia magna Indian J. Envin. Protect. Vol. 13, 804-807, 1993.
- Karnik A.B., Suthar A.M., Patel M.M., Sadhu H.G., Venkaiah K. and Nigam S.K. Immunological profile in workers exposed to pesticides, Indian Journal of Industrial Medicine. 39 (3) pp 110-112, 1993.
- Desai M.S., Gosh S.K. and Venkaiah K. Application of Quantitative samplers for recovery of total number of fungi from maize processing industry. IASTA Bulletin 6 (4) pp 96-101, 1993.
- Venkaiah K. Kulkarni PK., Mohan Rao N., Saiyed HN. And Kashyap SK. Some of the statistical techniques in the evaluation of Occupational health problems. Indian J. of Ind. Medicine., vol 38, no.1, 17-23, 1992.
- V.K. Bhatnagar, Patel J.S., Varia MR., Venkaiah K, M.P.Shah and Kashyap SK. Levels of Organocholrine Insecticides in Human Blood from Ahmedabad (Ruaral), India. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicolgy. 48: 302-307. 1992.
- Sayed HM., Sadhu HG., Bhatnagar VK., Dewan A., Venkaiah K., and Kashyap SK. Cardiac Toxicity following short exposure to methomyl in sprayemen and rabbits. Human & Experimental toxicology. 11, 93-97 1992.
- Nigam S.K., Saiyed HN., Suthar A.M., Karnik A.B., Venkaiah K. and Kashyap S.K. Role of CIC in the immunopathogenecis of Non Occupational Pneumoconiosis in the villages of Central Ladak. Int. J. Tox. Occup. And Environ. Health. Vol. 1, No.3, 35-38, 1992.
- Saiyed HN., Sharama YK., Sadhu HG., Narboo T., Patel PD., Patel TS., Venkaiah K., Kashyap SK. Non Occupational pneumoconiosis at high altitude villages in central Ladakh. Br. J. Ind. Med. 48: 825-829, 1991.
Nigam S.K., Saiyed HN., Ravi Malaviya, Suthar A.M., Desai UM., Venkaiah K., Sharma YK. and Kashyap S.K. Role of CIC in the immunopathogenecis of Silicosis. Toxicology Letters. 51, 315-320, 1990.
- Venkaiah K., Damayanthi K., Naik M.U. and Vijayaraghvan K.: Diet and Nutritional status of rural adolescents in India, Nutrition News, NIN, Hyderabad.
- K.Venkaiah, G.N.V. Brahmam and K.Vijayaraghavan : Profile of Gender Disparity on Health and Nutrition status Proceedings of the National seminar on Gender Statistics and Data Gaps, C.S.O., Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation GOI, 2004.
- K.Venkaiah, GNV Brahmam , K.Vijayaraghvan et al.: Assessment of diet and nutrition situation in drought areas in nine States – Part : Nutrition News, NIN, Hyderabad vol 27 no.1 Jan 2006.
K.Venkaiah, GNV Brahmam , K.Vijayaraghvan et al.: Assessment of diet and nutrition situation in drought areas in nine States – Part 2 : Nutrition News, NIN, Hyderabad vol 27 no.2 April 2006.
Published in Proceedings
- Subba Rao G.M., Raghunatha Rao D., Venkaiah K., Dube A.K. and Rameshwar Sarma K.V. Nutrition Education for School Children using FAO’s Global School-Based Programme - Feeding Minds, Fighting Hunger (FMFH): Proc. National conference on Human Health and Nutrition: A Biotechnological Approach,Mumbai, 2004.
Arjun L. Khandare, Hari Kumar R., Venkaiah K., Gal Reddy Ch. Sharad kumar and Siva Kumar B.: Exploratory Study on Fluorosis in Five Districts of Tamil Nadu State. Proceedings of National Workshop on Nutritional affects on Fluorosis, Chennai.2004.